- Visually identify the CDiag Base Code (everything INSIDE the "#####" lines). Please DO NOT include ANY portion of the "#####" lines.
- Open Notepad.
- Highlight then Copy the code (Ctrl-C), precisely as it is presented, and Paste (Ctrl-V) into Notepad.
- Examine the contents of Notepad. Is the text, as copied, readable (similar in format to the Base Code)? It won't run well, if it's not easily readable.
- If the text is not easily read, then:
- Stretch the sides of the Notepad window, so it becomes wider. If this improves readability, then continue with Step 6.
- Close Notepad, as is (do not bother to save anything).
- Open Notepad, again.
- Under Format, change the setting for Word Wrap. If it is unchecked, check it. If checked, uncheck it.
- Return to Step 3.
- Add the details for your LAN, giving the CDiag Assembled Code. Here's an example of what you might have, for a 2 computer LAN, with a NAT router. Details added are in bold type.
set FullTarget1=PChuck1 192.168.1.50
set FullTarget2=PChuck2 192.168.1.51
set FullTargets=%FullTarget1% %FullTarget2% %FullTarget3% %FullTarget4%
set FullTargets=%FullTargets% 127.0.0.1
set PingTargets=www.yahoo.com 18.104.22.168 192.168.1.1
Note that each target is specified on a separate line (FullTarget1, FullTarget2, ...), and each is specified by Name, followed by IP address. Each target test includes 4 steps:
- Ping target by name.
- Net View target by name.
- Ping target by IP address.
- Net View target by IP address.
- Save the CDiag Assembled Code as "cdiag.cmd", as type "All Files", into the root folder "C:\", onto each computer with an NT based OS (NT / 2000 / 2003 / XP) in your LAN. This is the part where I can't help - you have to get the Assembled Code to each computer somehow. If file sharing worked, you could copy it across the LAN, but of course, you probably wouldn't need CDiag then.
- Run the Assembled Code on each computer with an NT based OS (NT / 2000 / 2003 / XP / Vista). Don't waste yours or my time, running it under Windows 9x (95, 98, ME).
- Start - Run - "c:\cdiag".
- Wait patiently.
- When Notepad opens up displaying the CDiag Log (c:\cdiag.txt), first check Format and ensure that Word Wrap is NOT checked! Then, print it, or set it aside, for interpretation.
- Aggregate all CDiag logs, then interpret the complete result.